Rag Doll Tutorial
Body fabric* - 0.5 yard
Embroidery floss for face – black and red
Needle and thread
Yarn for hair
* For the example doll shown here, I used plain muslin which was dyed overnight in coffee.
1) Cut out all doll pattern pieces from body fabric.
2) Sew two arms and two legs together with right sides facing using 0.25 inch seam allowances.
Clip curves, trim, turn and press.
Stuff arms and legs lightly
and place aside.
3) Sew doll torso piece to head two times, right sides together. Press seam down toward torso.
4) Baste arms and legs to the right side of one of the new body pieces. These pieces should be sewn facing inward. When the doll is turned and stuffed, the arms and legs will stick out from the body.
5) Once the arms and legs are basted into position, place the second body piece on the first, right sides facing. The arms will be enclosed within the two body pieces, but the legs should hang out of the bottom. Sew around the body from the lower left corner (next to the left leg) to the lower right corner (next to the right leg).
6) Clip curves, trim and turn. Stuff body.
7) Sew doll bottom closed either by hand or by machine.
8) Use embroidery thread to make eyes and mouth.
9) Add yarn for hair.
Remember, rag dolls are not supposed to be perfect. They are better if they are a little wonky. Made with love.
That's all for this tutorial. I think I'll do a separate post on hair one of these days.
If you make a baby, please show me! I would be so excited to see her or him.